Thursday, August 17, 2006

When Credibility Croaks, or, Rather, Gets Croaked

Zogby poll: "Rating down despite foiled terror plot and Lebanon cease fire; Democrats hold generic Congressional lead."

Why? Read my previous post on returning from Europe. Nobody can believe the Bushits anymore when it comes to terror warnings or declarations of making things safer. Terrorism and the "war" thereupon are first and foremost political tools for Team Bush. William Greider, writing for The Nation, has it perfectly articulated.
More to the point, it is equally true that Bush desperately needs the terrorists. They are his last frail hope for political survival. They divert public attention, at least momentarily, from his disastrous war in Iraq and his shameful abuses of the Constitution. The "news" of terror--whether real or fantasized--reduces American politics to its most primitive impulses, the realm of fear-and-smear where George Bush is at his best.

So, once again in the run-up to a national election, we are visited with alarming news. A monstrous plot, red alert, high drama playing on all channels and extreme measures taken to tighten security.

The White House men wear grave faces, but they cannot hide their delight. It's another chance for Bush to protect us from those aliens with funny names, another opportunity to accuse Democrats of aiding and abetting the enemy.

This has worked twice before. It could work again this fall unless gullible Americans snap out of it. Wake up, folks, and recognize how stupid and wimpish you look. I wrote the following two years ago during a similar episode of red alerts: "Bush's ‘war on terrorism' is a political slogan--not a coherent strategy for national defense--and it succeeds brillantly only as politics. For everything else, it is quite illogical."
Then Greider asks the key question.
Where is the famous American skepticism? The loose-jointed ability to laugh at ourselves in anxious moments? Can't people see the campy joke in this docudrama called "Terror in the Sky"?
Now inevitably, some dickhead is going to accuse me of not taking terrorism seriously. Echoing the Donald Rumsfeld mode of Q&A, do I believe terrorism exists? Yes, of course. Do I understand that there are people who think nothing of killing thousands to make a point about their particular superstitious belief in invisible cloud beings and rewards after death? Absolutely. But do I think that the actual, measurable, and preventable acts of terrorism that truly threaten us have been responsibly addressed? In a word, no. Looking at actions versus rhetoric on the issue, I can only conclude that Bush and company care primarily for terrorism as a tool for the acquisition and consolidation of power and any protection of the people a fortunate coincidental occurrence.

After all, how many innocent people have been killed in Iraq? Has that action reduced the threat of terrorism? Are our ports better controlled? Are our borders secure? Where's Osama? Any word on those anthrax attacks four years ago? Are there fewer or more young Muslims ready to embrace the mythical 70+ virgins in martyr's heaven?

Good job, Georgie!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, oh please, do not blaspheme The Flying Spaghetti Monster. Thank you.

Olaf said...

Not even the Flying Spaghetti Monster (my own faith) is exempt!

Anonymous said...

I want to talk to Osama Bin Laden. I remember right after 9/11 the Dalai Lama sent Bush a letter essentially asking him to set aside animalistic reaction and try to listen (of course this was not even in Bushy Wushy's playbook, but enough of that). I said this to someone last night and they looked at me with curious suspicion, eyed me as a sympathizer. Fuck Bin Laden. Fuck killing 3000 people. But it is clear, due to the zeal that continues to get inflamed, and the fact that the wiley fucker can't be found, that a significant portion of the global population love him and love something about what he stands for. When a rich bitch kid who stands 6'10" and walks with a cane can hide from the world's most sinister, well-equipped and underhanded intelligence machine in the world, you got to wonder not only about the brat, but also how it is possible. That's why I'd like to sit down with Osama and ask why. I have no idea what kind of an answer would come, but there might be a few surprises. Of course, now I sound like one of thos cowardly bleeding-heart liberals, an Al-Qaeda sympathizer or something. I'm not. What I am is human. I'm curious. More than anything else, it's curiosity that has driven this species into all its wreckages and glories. If I cut myself off from that, because I would be curious to really understand what this so-called other side, "the enemy who is everywhere" is all about, then I consider that un-American. Who knows? There might even be a possibility to learn something and instead of fighting fire with fire, actually find a way to make a more peaceful world. Of course that would mean a sudden shift from ridiculous alpha pride (recall the most embarassing moment in U.S. history of dumbfuck standing in fatigues on that warship, declaring victory), to humility and responsibility. Ah, what a world it would be...

Olaf said...

Alas, scotchyogi, bin Laden and Bush share a common characteristic that alone will strangle us all between them--zealotry. I am forever puzzled by well-educated people who cling to absolutely unfounded and unsupportable beliefs and think that their private fantasies justify killing and maiming innocents, even those who share their fantasies. Do we have time to reason with those who have consciously decided to declare reason the enemy of faith? While it may be interesting to ask a zealous murderer why he does what he does, the first thing to do is neutralize him from committing any more murder, or enabling others to use his actions as justification for their own crimes.

The problem with zealotry and blind faith is that it reduces its argument to axioms which are not really axioms because they are still reducible. For example, "The Bible/Quran/Book of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the word of God and is without error," negates the very simple exercise of demonstrating how internally contradictory these documents are, not to mention dubious authorship, origins, translation problems, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that at some point we have to recognize the futility of argument when dealing with people who care nothing for reason if it contradicts their faith. It's far better to engage those who still believe in reason. But when they seem to have abdicated their power out of fear, avarice, or stupidity, then the world falls into the hands of fanatics.

Anonymous said...

I forgot my addendum. I'd also like to sit down with King George and let him rant and ramble as well. I just have this fascination with listening to raving lunatics. Gives me fodder for wringing out the last vestiges of my own creativity...hmm, maybe that's why I read Olaf? Could be, could be...

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back, Olaf.

Olaf said...

Thank you. It's good to be back, although I sure wish Berlin was just a train ride away. Why, oh why can't I get a wormhole through spacetime?

Well, enough longing. I had the displeasure of watching Fearless Leader in his "press conference" today. Classify it as a powerful emetic.

Anonymous said...

I'll let you know when I get my matter-transporter working again.

Olaf said...

MB--oh, yes, please! I can't bear to go through airport security again.