Monday, November 21, 2005

Cheney Admits Administration Misled Country

That's how I read it. Here's an excerpt from his speech at the American Enterprise Institute this morning:
Cheney said in a speech at the American Enterprise Institute that there is no problem debating whether the United States and its allies should have gone to war in Iraq...
Gee, that's mighty big of you, Dick. Thanks for giving us the permission to speak. Anyway...
but he lashed out at some in Washington who have aggressively questioned the administration.

"What is not legitimate, and what I will again say is dishonest and reprehensible, is the suggestion by some U.S. senators that the president of the United States or any member of his administration purposely misled the American people on prewar intelligence," Cheney said.
So now Dicky-lick concedes that his administration misled the American people on prewar intelligence. All we're quibbling about now is whether they knowingly did so.

I expect that the next move will be to concede that, yes, they did knowingly mislead on the intelligence, but that it was for our own good, or that they didn't know it was wrong to lie. It will be a real George Costanza moment. Imagine Cheney in the dock, being questioned by the prosecutor.

Prosecutor: So, Mr. Cheney, you admit that you deliberately intimidated analysts to twist intelligence to fit your aims to invade Iraq?

Cheney: Yes.

Prosecutor: And you further stipulate that you took intelligence given to you and the President and altered it to deceive the American people on the reasons for invading Iraq.

Cheney: Yes. But let me ask one question. What that wrong? You see, in other administrations I worked in, we lied all the time. I mean, heh-heh, telling the truth was for suckers, you know? Like during Watergate when I was with Nixon. And then again in the Iran-Contra thing under Reagan. Hoo-hoo! Boy did we lie! But nobody thought it was wrong. I mean, if someone had told me three years ago that lying about intelligence was wrong, well, heh-heh, I don't think I would have done it. But how was I to know? I mean, I may be the vice president, but you can't expect me to know everything, fer chrissakes. If someone had just pulled me aside and said, "Dickie, Baby, don't fake the intel. Bubby, please, lying for war is just not a good idea." Hell, I could've changed my plans. But I didn't know!

Put the hood on, slip the noose over, pull the lever on the trapdoor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know... Cheney is clearly able to point out lies of others. Why can't he identify them in himself??? Moreover, what does one respond when the biggest, most important liar in the country accuses other politicians of "dishonesty"??

Olaf said...

Watching Cheney is almost fascinating, sort of like Captain Queeg in "The Caine Mutiny." In other words, he's nuts, and he can't see how nuts he is. In Dick's case, however, his affliction is evil in the brain, and somehow he was given the country to run before his madness became obvious--as I think it is now. Even the MSM folks sound embarrassed to talk about his recent appearances.